Wednesday, October 1, 2008

The Great Hippie Hunt

http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,839035,00.html

Atlanta recently has been looking for a turn-around in their hippie and homosexual population. The hippies are being persecuted for being a hippie, living in the hippie district, or even associating with the hippies. There have cases of unauthorized search warrants and use of weaponry against the hippies. A college professor's wife was clubbed in the head and later handcuffed for trying to calm a police officer. This is a witch hunt because it involves a stereotype and a wide spread conviction of hippies in general.

20 comments:

kate said...

Question...do you not know what is going on? You need to hyperlink your website. Moving on you know even less about bear hunts than I do. Now to the "Great Hippie Hunt" I think it is stupid that people would persecute hippies. Hippies are pretty cool. Peace!

Anonymous said...

Well, if they're doing illegal stuff, what's the big deal? If they're causing trouble, yeah I think I'd want them arrested too, and of course the po-po could take it down a notch. Kate...no. Hippies are NOT cool! You go ahead and be a druggie (woop woop stereotypes) but please, keep your peace loving self to..well, yourself.

But of course, I must admit that it is a witchhunt. Hating someone just because they're not you? Sure that's somewhat a witchhunt. And go ahead and arrest the gays...they're polluting our population anyways

Becca said...

ok Ashley...this is a blog for discussing witch hunts...not your annoying conservative point of view. So getting to the point, this is a good example of a witch hunt. Hippies aren't hurting anyone and neither are gays. They don't hurt us, so why should we hurt them? If they're doing something illegal then yeah they should be arrested like everyone else, but they shouldn't be arrested on stupid minor offenses like loitering. They're being discriminated against and persecuted for who they are. Great example of a witch hunt.

Anonymous said...

Uh, Becca, these blogs are here to give our OPINIONS, and I am entitled to my own. If you have a problem with that, please, feel free to talk to me about it. But not over the blogs.

Schaff's Blog said...

I can see where this could be an example of a witch hunt. These people are arresting so-called "hippies" pretty much for just being there. They are no different than us. They just talk wierd, sing silly songs, do drugs, and wear crazy clothes. Yep. Just like us.

shooter 64 said...

I agree that this is a type of witch hunt. Just because people are trying to help someone and relax them, doesn't mean their using "spells" to do it. We don't have the right to do harm to them for helping people in different ways.

wrestling125 said...

Yeah i guess in the long run this could be a witch hunt because people don't like the hippies just because they are different. I would guess if they are doing anything illegal then it would probably be drugs.

Emma said...

I find this really unfair. It says in the article that the hippies would be arrested for jaywalking. If a police officer in Atlanta say a businessman jaywalking, would he be arrested? This is definately a witch hunt. They are going after hippies for basically just living there.

123Rage(oake) said...

I stayed on Peachtree street this summer! there is a Peachtree mall taht is a huge buisines district, so I understand how having "hippies" around is bad for buisines. But since we still are in america, I don't think its right to persecute people b/c of how they are dressed & how often they do (or do not) shave. Sadly, a witch hunt.

Rach Waldo said...

This is a type of a witch hunt. Why don’t they just leave people alone? I agree with Becca hippies and gays aren’t hurting anybody. If they have a problem with hippies or gays they need to just get a life and get over it. Some people need to learn how to treat all people with respect.

Austin J. Whitley said...

Hippies have rights too, even if they don't know how to shave/shower. Great example of a witch hunt.

Kristen Suchor said...

I think is so wrong to persecute against hippies, they are just like us except they may look a little different than most people. Great example of a witch hunt. We need to treat these hippies with respect.

Anonymous said...

Yes, this is a witch hunt. Hippies were not bad people.

Crazeh said...

Good example of a witch hunt. Yay hippies.

~Red Curls~ =] said...

This is a good example of a witch hunt. There is nothing wrong with hippies or gay people. Anyone who says there is something wrong is just being judgmental and more than likely does not personally know any hippies or gay people.

*frostyjoe* said...

I believe this is a witch hunt because people arnt the same as you. Its sad to think how people could do that to others.Also hippies arnt hurting anyone..so why should they hurt them?

trombone_girl2010 said...

I agree with Ashley L. This is a witch hunt because people are against people. Jamie Werner

Flint's owner said...

I think this a good example of a witch hunt even if I agree with it or not.

Archangel(Kenton) said...

I never realized that hippies were being witch hunted. The violence that ensues from these sick people who pray on the different.

Thadd said...

Long hair is an appearance, but people think its cool to call people hippie cuz they look, not act, like a hippie. Hunted...